Monday, January 14, 2008

Oh butter, I will miss you...

I feel like I'm about 3/4 of the way there in eliminating sugar out of my diet: most cravings are gone, I'm not buying or eating any commercial sugary products, have nearly eliminated white flour (still depend a bit on eating from Subway, and there are no whole wheat bread or buns here at work, will work on that with the Chef this season.) So now I'm on to the next challenge for me, to wean myself off butter and lots of fat. While I'm certainly never going to eat a very-low fat diet ever in my life, I do have to face up to the fact that I'm eating way too much fat, especially animal fat, with not enough variety in the fatty foods I'm eating. Way too much butter, cheese, cream, ground beef, chicken fat, bacon, and sausage.

So, the next step on this lifestyle change is, once I feel like I've got the sugar/white foods/processed food thing under control, is to cut back on the fatty animal products I eat, and replace it with lean meats, fish, beans and legumes, vegetable fats like avocado and olives, and more fruits and vegetables. That's a whole lot of changes to do, so, again, I'll be taking them in baby steps. Cutting down on dairy, and cutting out butter, at least for the time being, will be my first goal, then fatty meats, while simultaneously increasing my intake of the above foods.

I'm hoping to be well on the way to eating a whole food diet by March 1st, and aim to be completely sugar free, and possibly go vegetarian for a month or two, by June 1st.

No comments: