Monday, March 24, 2008

Baby steps, baby steps

All these little steps I've been taking for months seem to be adding up. I'm not craving sugar non-stop. I'm not bingeing at night anymore. I'm not eating mindlessly. I'm happy with my diet at the moment. Not perfect, but I feel so much more in control of my body and I'm not having uncontrollable cravings constantly.

Nothing has been more important for me, I think, than making sure to eat every 3 hours or so, though. Not having the raging fluctuations in blood sugar is so huge for my body. I think this is probably the single most important thing to controlling all those cravings and bingeing, having stable blood sugar for the first time in years.

I'm doing well going veggie, not trying to push myself too hard. I had a piece of roast and some gravy at Easter dinner last night. It would have been rude to my aunt (who'd cooked for hours and has no idea I've decided to go veg) to have turned down what she had to offer. And I think if I'd tried to hold myself to being vegetarian, I would have gotten a bit resentful of everyone else eating meat around me. So I ate the meat, and didn't really enjoy it and I'm perfectly happy to not eat meat again for a while.

I made baked pasta for dinner, would have liked some beans in it, but O draws the line at beans and pasta (I really gotta introduce him to pasta e fagiole.) For the next month or so, my goal is going to be to eat beans or lentils at least 3 times per week, to cut back on high fat cheeses and eggs for my main protein intake, to eat 1 more serving of fruit and of vegetables every day (I'm pretty good with veggies, but don't really like fruit, I love the taste, but have some sensory issues, mainly with anything juicy, yuck!)

Exercise wise, I've been doing more stretching, 10 modified push-ups every day, some crunches and squats, and way more walking and stair climing. The stair climbing is really killing my knees, though (this is mostly at work when I don't have time to wait for the slowest elevator in the world), and I'm still not doing daily yoga. So my goal for April is to do at least 3-4 sun salutes every morning, and at least a short routine at night, and to do a full yoga routine, either my own or a dvd, at least 2 times per week. I'm also going to get a new seat for my bike this month and get out on the roads as soon as the snow melts (again, we had another blizzard this morning, ggrrrr!)

My weight really hasn't changed at all, but I'm just coming to the end of my period, so I'll wait a few days to weigh myself again and post it.

No comments: